Fr. Anthony Buccieri Memorial Gymnasium
The college gymnasium is named after Late Rev Fr. Anthony Buccieri SDB, a Salesian missionary who worked for many years in the Garo Hills of Meghalaya. He dedicated his lives to serving the poor and the young people of the region. Born on 12th June 1913 in Sicily, Italy, Father Buccieri came to India in 1934. After completing his philosophical and theological studies he came to Tura in 1939. His stay in Garo Hills was interrupted due to the Second World War as he was sent to concentration camps at Mawlai, Deoli and Dehra Dun where he functioned as professor of scripture for students of theology.
When he was released in 1946 he was sent to work in South India. After a year he returned to Tura. The places where he worked include, teaching theology in Mawlai, Rector of Liluah, Parish priest in Tura, Dalu, Upper Shillong and Mawkhar in Shillong and confessor in Bosco Mount, Rongkhon. He passed away on 3rd November 1998 in Nazareth Hospital and was buried at Bosco Mount, Tura on 5th November 1998.
On 26th January, 2018, during the celebration of 69th Republic Day, the Public Administration of West Garo Hills posthumously awarded Father Anthony Buccieri SDB, a missionary who worked in Garo Hills for more than 25 years, with the ”Special Award”.
Fr. Anthony Buccieri Memorial Gymnasium strives to provide high quality gymnastics in a positive, safe and enjoyable environment as part of an overall mission to support young students in their physical, mental and social development.
To achieve health excellence, ensuring everybody has the opportunity to be healthy.
Aims and Objectives of Fr Anthony Buccieri Memorial Gymnasium
- To create multifaceted educational program in the college.
- To train students interested in developing, improving and maintenance of health and fitness.
- To empower students to create healthy training habits.
- To engage students who are excluded from most training facilities.
- To empower students to improve their own physical and mental well-being.
- To make best use of our equipment and resources through well-attended sessions.
- To made it simple, affordable and convenient for everyone to achieve their personal health goals.
The Gymnasium consists of a Six Station multi gym, treadmills, exercises bikes, indoor cycles, punch bags, multipurpose fitness benches and various dumbbells of different weight.
Six Stations meet six person workout:
Station 1: tricep extension, leg extension, high pull AB crunch, tricep push-down, lat pull down, biceps curl, pectoral fly, seated press bar row, preacher curl, leg kick back, seated shoulder press, upright row, standing leg curl
Station 2: leg press
Station 3: push-up
Station 4: knee raise, dip arm
Station 5: chin up
Station 6: sit up, dummbell exercise.
A multi-station is a single piece of strength equipment that enables a user to perform multiple exercises on the same machine. There are two different kinds of multi-stations, single user and multi-user. A single user multi-station is one which permits only one user to workout at a time on the machine. These machines are technically multi-stations as each machine performs at least two different, usually related, exercises, but they are sometimes classed with single station machines because they do not allow several users to work out at the same time. Examples of single user multi-stations include pec deck/ rear deltoid, shoulder press / chest press, and ab crunch / back extension. While single-user multi-stations are great in many situations, when most people think of a multi-station they think of a multi-user, multi-station exercise machine. These machines, due to their multiple weight stacks, allow several users to workout on different stations on the same machine at the same time. Typically, these machines come with either four, five, six, or eight stacks.
1. Physical benefits
- Prevent against diseases: Regular workout decreases the risk of diabetes, metabolic diseases and even cancer, especially colon and breast cancer. What’s more, everyday exercise enhances your heart efficiency by helping it pump more smoothly with less pressure.
- Your blood pressure can also be controlled if you regularly do exercise because your blood can run more effectively through your arteries. Going to the gym five days a week, 30 minutes a day can decrease the risk of heart diseases.
- Support your muscles and joints: Activities in the gym motivate you to work out regularly, equally do aerobics and strength training exercises, thus supporting your joints, muscles, making you stronger and more flexible.
2. Psychological Benefits
- Encourage your social life: When going to gym instead of staying at home and watching TV, you can communicate with more people, strike up more friendships, expand your social network, get more fun from talking with others and make your social life more colorful.
- Reduce stress: When you work out, you experience peace of mind and the feelings of achievements, which sparks the center of enjoyment in your brain and positively affect your mood. According to Harvard Medical Center, exercise helps people diminish their stress hormones cortisol and adrenaline since endorphins are discharged. The two activities occur simultaneously, helping you reduce pressure and boost happy and relaxing feelings.
The gym is open all the days of the week except on Sundays and during the College Hours
|Morning||06:00 am – 07:00am|
|07:00 am – 08:00 am|
|Evening||03:30 pm – 04:30 pm|
|04:30 pm – 05:30 pm|
|05:30 pm – 06:30 pm|
|Afternoon||01:00 pm – 02:00 pm|
|02:00 pm – 03:00 pm|
|03:00 pm – 04:00 pm|
|04:00 pm – 05:00 pm|